Children, our beloved ones. They are great gift from Allah (swt). We need to act in the way how Islam wants us to act for them. Sultan of the months Ramadan has come. What do we need to do as parents?
Well, we should not, first of all, force our children to fast if they are under age (puberty). However, their parents are strongly recommended to encourage them to fast few days so that they get used to it and they grow up knowing of the worship of fasting as they would know that of praying.
There are so many ways to educate our children about Ramadan, the best and most important of which is to set the good example by fasting properly and behaving according to the Prophetic teachings. This is what your children will take from you first. When you act properly and fulfil your duties. When you are fulfilling this you can very easily teach them what you want. Here are few tips that you can use with your children or even for others as well.
- Depending on their age encourage and support them to fast. For those who are still young let them fast a day or two and praise them in front of friends and relatives for their achievement.
- If your children cannot fast let them eat with you at the time of Maghrib and teach them that you are breaking the fast even if they ate before.
- Teach your children the supplication of breaking the fast
- Take your children to the Taraweeh prayer so that they get used to it and know about it from their early age.
- Teach them to give charity. Do it in front of them and tell them you are doing it because the reward increases in Ramadan.
- Teach them to recite Qur’an regularly and inform them that the Prophet (pbuh) used to do that in Ramadan.
- Correct them if they behave wrongly or say unacceptable words and remind them that they are fasting or they are in Ramadan and this may alter their reward.
- Wake them up for Suhoor (even if they don’t fast) and Fajr prayer.
- Teach them to feed the people fasting and tell them about the reward for that.
- Dress them in the best clothes, give them a bath and take them with you to the Eid Prayer. Teach them that this is our feast and celebration and that new-year, valentine and some other unmeaning celebrations are not ours. Make these points clearly.
The Prophet said: Duas of three persons are not refused: a fasting man when breaking the fast, a just ruler, and an oppressed person, Allah’s blessings be upon him. (Abu Huraira in Tirmidhi).
O Allah, on this day, make our fasts the fasts of those who fast (sincerely), and my standing up in prayer of those who stand up in prayer (obediently), awaken us in it from the sleep of the heedless, and forgive me my sins, O Allah of the worlds, and forgive me, O One Who forgives the sinners.